With this build starting to look ready for paint it was time to decide on a color. Because of the added body work with the styrene bed I had to make a more important decision. Paint the outside or inside of the body? The Styrene had to be painted on the outside no matter what. The bed of the Trail Ranger body would have been almost impossible to paint on the inside with the work that was done. Outside it is! Now for color…
I painted the inside of the body with silver and also used the silver to act as a primer on the styrene and the final color for the tool box. Im preparation for the next color I masked off the tool box.
Next I removed the protective film from the hood, bumpers, fender flairs, and along the edges of the bed.
Now the time consuming part. I let the 3 coats of black paint dry over night before I started masking over it. Because I painted the body on the outside you have to mask off any recent colors you painted. So all those black accents had to be masked off before the Orange paint was applied. Also note that when painting bodies on the outside with lexan paint the final result has a semi flat look to it. Especially with black. Worked out well because that was the look I wanted.
Paint is dry! Time to remove the layers of masking and hope it looks good.
Sweet! All that is left are the decals now.
The Green rings that came with the SCX10 weren’t going to work with this color scheme. Decided the Axial Black Chrome 1.9 Beadlocks (Axial Part# AX8089) would go well with the Orange Axial Beadlock rings (Axial Part #’s AX8128, AX8123)
Paint is complete!
Thanks for looking! I will do my best to get another update going this week. Any questions about the paint please feel free to ask.